Skip to main content

We are in a day and age where a badge can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing and could ultimately change our lives for the worse....or it could be for the better... it's a toss up, but that's everyday life.... Right? We have to understand we are ALL humans, with or without a badge. You choose to do what is right, or you choose to do what is wrong....This man wore his badge with integrity, and he also chose to treat each person as a human being. Yes, these men are hard to find, but they are there. This is one of them....I want to honor his faithful service, valor, and humanism. Meet Gordon Finger, a veteran of the US Navy who served OUR country during the Cuban blockade, and is/was a retired Chief Deputy Sheriff for Van Wert County. 

The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.--Benjamin Disraeli


Although, I physically can not be there today, due to starting a new job, and this job I know Gordy would be thrilled about, I still want to express my condolences, grief, but also my gratitude.

Those piercing blue eyes. The saying that the eyes are the portal to the soul….In Gordy’s eyes, was a soul of a man who was a loyal, God fearing man, who acted and walked in this world to try and make a difference.

Gordy, you were there that fateful day in 1983 that changed the trajectory of my life and my siblings lives…and you tried. You cared. You, Doris and your family opened your heart and your home to my sister years later. I don’t think anyone can even understand the brevity of that selfless action. I wish more of humanity were like the both of you.

You and Doris also were there in 2010 when I bared my heart,my soul, and took a chance by publishing my book about that fateful day. You were the ONLY ones from Van Wert that came out to support me, and validate my story and the reason why I wrote it.

My heart hurts for your beautiful wife, your amazing kids, and the many of your extended family because you are now their missing puzzle piece...for now. In the grander scheme of things... However, you have left a legacy behind of a man of integrity and love. And your family will carry that on with you as their guiding angel...Fly high Gordy…Return to your rest, my soul, for the LORD has been good to you.” Psalm 116:7

All of God’s grace and mercy….and so much love and admiration….
April




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as I knew it....

Lost. Confused. Hurt. So many emotions that have consumed most of my life, and have become again intensely prevalent in the last year. When I re-read my journals, writings, posts….I see a trend. I see the problems, but nothing changes. I can’t say I have not grown, matured, and learned the patterns, but there are still the same themes. Love. It is elusive, self-serving, and ambiguous to me. I don’t know if that will ever change, and it scares me. It may sound trivial to many, but when it is not afforded to you as a young child, it does affect your ability to grasp the complexity of it, and create healthy relationships. 2016, like 1983, changed the course of my life. 2016 was a year of a 20 year marriage ending. 2016 was a year of losing the last of familial relationships, I thought I might have. 2016 was a year of my 4 beautiful children experiencing excruciating pain and the broken illusion of a happy family. I would be lying if I said I have not felt like I was the worse failure
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.~ Rev. King is one of my inspirations to be a better person. To overcome adversity with grace, but with the fire to not back down when the going gets tough. I know it is so easy to say we stand for certain causes etc, but when it really comes down to it, do you really ? If I say that nothing will stop me from protecting another child or person in need. I stand behind it 110%. I had to be completely honest with myself & make sure my motives were realistic...because how can I write a book and proclaim that is what I stand behind, and than turn a blind eye to what is right in front of me? I used to wonder what I would really do if I was called on the carpet. The situation presented itself a few months ago. I felt God’s voice in my head asking, “what are you going to do?” I was leaving a

Hard life lessons learned

“God allows us to experience the low points of life in order to teach us lessons we could not learn in any other way. The way we learn those lessons is not to deny the feelings but to find the meanings underlying them.”   Stanley Lindquist            Life will always be filled with hurt and betrayal, and that my friend is a continued life lesson for me. I guess it is the hope in some of us that it would end, but unfortunately it doesn’t. I feel like I have been consumed with this hurt from a betrayal a few months ago…I am still trying to let go. It is just so hard sometimes. It hurts so bad, that I literally can feel my heart breaking. Why am I giving these people my head space!!!?? They don’t deserve it. Old habits… so hard to die! I feel sometimes that I have taken 2 steps back because old thought patterns have resurfaced there ugly head. I pray that God gives me the strength I need to let go and move on. I share my struggles because I am human. I don’t hav